The Underground in Rome consists of three lines: line A (orange), line B (blue), line C (green), with the total longness of 53,1 km. The Underground consists of 67 stations, 51 of which are tunnel stations.
Two main lines A and B, are built in the shape of X, for cutting on Termini station, the main roman railway station. Besides, line B is divided in two directions on Bologna station.
Nowadays, the leg of line C is in construction process and the final complection is predicted to 2020. However, plan of the fourth line D, already exists.
Line A divides Rome diagonally from north-west to south-east. The terminal stations are: Battistini (Boccea zone) and Anagnina (Osteria del Curato zone). 27 stations are marked with the orange color, which is used for car and station decoration, and in the underground map.
Line B integrates the city from the south to the north-east, where the underground is divided in two spurs: the first with the destination to the east, the second – to the north-east. The terminal stations are: Laurentina (Giuliano-Dalmata zone), Rebibbia (Ponte Mammolo zone, near the Cognominal correctional institution) and Conca d'Oro (Monte Sacro zone).
Line B estimates 25 stations with the transport junction in Line A (Termini station) and uptown railroad Roma-Lido (stations: Piramide, Basilica San Paolo, and also EUR Magliana). Is marked with blue color, which is used for car and station decoration, and in the underground map.
Line C is in construction process from 2007, and divides the city from the north-west, in Della Vittoria zone, to the suburbs in the east, that is going out of il Grande Raccordo Anulare, with the general length nearly 25,6 km and 30 stations, and passage through the historical city center. Marked with green color.
In 2014 was already built 21,5 km of the way and 24 stations. The first leg of 15 stations of Monte Compatri — Pantano — Parco di Centocelle direction was brought into operation November 9, 2014.
Prima corsa: 05:30 — Ultima corsa: 23:30; :The first train : 05:30 – The last train: 23:30;
Ven-Sab: Prima corsa: 05:30 — Ultima corsa: 01:30; Fr – Sun: The first train : 05:30 – The last train: 01:30;
Everything is in comparison, that why with a certainty I can say you that metropolitan in central cities of Ukraine and Russia is much more attractive and clean than in Italy. Most of all I was impressed not by the carriages covered with graffiti, but the with the amount of rubbish and mud everywhere. Still some of metropolitan lines are under construction, and the most interesting fact that the last 6 years I visit Rome the building works in C line are on the same level. I think that is connected with the problem near some stations in the city center ( for example near Colosseum), builders can only one time dig the ground and they have to call the team of archeologists and historians.
Nevertheless, the underground in Rome is comfortable and full of people only on rush hours, you don't have the impression that any time you move somewhere it is always crowded and nobody is working but going anywhere. But I recommend you to move by bus.
Ticket for the underground valid also for bus and tram, punched ticket you can also use in bus or tram but for 90 minutes. You can buy it in every slot machine in metro station, tobacconist, news stall or inside the transport in small slot machines. If you come for a long time and want to save your money, there are daily, tree day ticket, seven day ticket or monthly ticket.
It is better to have than not to have the ticket because of the mulct is 50 euros, that can grow in a few days in the case of your disregard. Inspectors are dressed in blue uniform with ATAC logotype, so you can easily recognize them in transport, when in Ukraine the man without the uniform can come to you and ask for you ticket showing only his documents.
Don't fare-dogle, respect the rules.
Every part of the world is famous for something special: particular dishes, culture, traditions, clothes and, of course, atmosphere. As for me, Elba is after my heart, nevertheless climate there is very wet, there is some dependence on continental Italy and tourists prices. But now I’ll tell you about some things that impressed me so much during my voyage.
7 interesting facts about Elba:
1) Odour of perfume — Acqua dell'Elba or in our language — ‘water from Elba’. It’s made of special kind of grass that grows on the island and has incredible fresh summer aroma. For fans of freshness and lightness this is real finding. It is sold in every perfumery on the island, but you can also find it in the central shops of Italian cities. In assortment there are soup on the basis of this grass, also you can find shower gel and creams. More information:
2) Typical sweets of Elba – is heavy cake-pie from nuts, dried fruits (sundried wild berries) and lace. As for a hot island it is a little bit strange to have like a dissert such kind of sweets, it should seem, the hotter climate we have – the lighter food is, but not in this case. Pie, to tell the truth, is very delicious and nutrient, somehow it recognized me our Ukrainian frosted biscuits but with nuts inside. You can buy it in every supermarket in island or order in confectionary. If somebody is interested, here is the recipe of it:
3) Napoleon and his connection with the island. Great French imperator stayed on island only for 300 days, but for a full due he remained as the symbol of this piece of heaven on the earth. In transportation, he was elected as sovereign of Elba, and in practice he became as the main person there. As the matter of fact, everybody liked him. Very often he received volunteers to discuss different problems. After so much time passed he is still one of the front persons of Elba, that you can also find buying souvenirs that is so famous between the tourists.
4) Flag of Elba. I think I must wright the separate article about flag of Elba. After arrival on the island Napoleon having the army of 600 people, decides to create flag of warcrafts of the island. For creation was used red and white width of Tuscany flag, on it’s lashing was placed flag of Elba, which had the basis of Tuscany coat of arms of Cosmas the First period, silver with red diagonal band with three golden bees. The first time the flag was run up at imperator’s arrival 4 May, 1814 in Portoferraio. But French imperator didn’t have the idea to stay for a long time on the island, and in the end of February left it on brigantine.1 March, 1815 “Inconstant” appeared near the D’Antibes cape. Bonaparte went on the bridge with tree-colour badge on his hat. Elba’s flag was haul down and on the gall of brig and on other crafts accompanied him tricolored flag sailed up again.
5) Cacti fruits. How strange it can look from the first sight, but cacti are edible and with a great taste! Very delicious and useful. Cacti became mature in December. To the view as abnormal prickly burdock, that you can see along the road or near villas. The island teems with this kind of plant! It can be of several colors, yellow and violet. To the taste I can hardly explain with which product it has similar eating qualities, but at the same time it is meaty and juicy.
*Here is the example of jam of cacti:
Polish and cut fruits of cacti into small pieces, then pass them through the sieve. For 1 kg of fruits – 700 g of sugar and squeezed lemon juice of one big lemon. Then cover prepared fruits with the sugar, add lemon juice and boil for half an hour. Our jam of cacti is ready – whelm liquid into jars and close. Super tasty jam of cacti is ready! So exotic.
6) Napoleon’s death-mask. I think everybody knows about death-mask of Napoleone, and furthermore not one copy of it. As it is known the first one repose in NY in private collection (in 1973 it mysteriously disappeared from London museum, and than in 2004 was found on public sales in NY. It’s copy repose in Paris museum of arms, and considered to be the original for a long long time).
The second one – repose in Dadianas palace, in Georgian town Zugdidi (the relic got to museum collection from Murat descendants, who owned the palace for some time. The mask is made of gypsum by Francesco Antommarchi imperators doctor. Later after 12 years of death it was poured in bronze).
The third one – repose on Elba island in ancient church Misericordia (to tell the truth I personally visited this place, but the mask was transported to the small local museum in close vicinity, unfortunately it was closed).
7) Villa San Martino. 5 kl near the central town of Elba (Portoferraio), there is out-of-country villa of Napoleon. Unfortunately he didn’t live there. At the moment there is a nice museum and Anatolij Demidoffs’ galleria, who was the husband of great imperators’ niece. Museum is quite decent and Napoleons apartments are not so pompous.